Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Awesome workout

People ask me how I prepare for swimming 100 miles. Besides swimming regularly, I do some weight and resistance training. I also try to make my abs stronger and flatter. But I can't do it alone. Luckily, one of the perks of working at Glacier Hills is having access to The Wellness Connection and the opportunity to hire a personal trainer from our Physical therapy department to utilize all the professional equipment. I feel I am in the best trained hands I could ever imagine. Mindy has been working with me for several months now, on a two to three week interval. She puts together an interesting workout that includes lifting weights, strengthening abs, rotator cuffs, arm muscles, effective stretching exercises and the ubiquitous squats! She is a fierce taskmaster, but is also compassionate and a real cheer leader. Now if could only get those abs tighter!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz - enjoyed this posting. We spend our time thinking about the river, and I confess that the challenge of what it takes to swim long distances eludes me! What's the time to swim a mile in a pool, vs. a mile in a lake? And I mean swim a mile knowing there are seven more to go, as compared to swimming a mile as fast as possible.

Thanks for doing this! It's an awesome workout, AND an awesome way to raise awareness for water resources!

J.

Kris O said...

Liz,
I had those questions, too. I've always been a "strong," but very slow swimmer, and wondered what it took to learn to swim faster. At least in a lake or river you don't have to worry about perfect those wall turns (never been able to do those!).

About how many miles do you think you'll do in a day? How will you know when you need to get out of the water due to safety concerns?

Thanks so much for doing this!!