Thursday, May 3, 2007

Is Swimming in the Huron River Hazardous?

People ask me "Aren't you going to get sick swimming in the Huron River? Aren't you concerned about your health?" "Isn't it hazardous where water is coming out of sewage treatment plants?"
The answer is no, it does not concern me because the water discharged from the plants is cleaner than the water in the river! I know that seems counterintuitive, but that is how effective the plants are at removing the “waste” from the waste water before it is discharged.

Others have heard that waste water plants sometimes dump raw sewage into the river.

It is a rare event. For that to happen, first there must be a power outage. Second, the back-up generators (installed to keep the plant online in the event of a power outage), must fail. I can only recall this happening once in the last ten years. Of course, if that happens while I am swimming, I will have no choice but to get out of the water. At that time, it would not be safe for anyone to go swimming in the river.

Then there is the Big Question that was asked at my friends' weekly Thursday afternoon tea party today, "What about E. coli?"

There is E. coli in the Huron River. Studies by the Washtenaw County Drain Commissioner have used DNA testing to determine the sources of E. coli. The main sources are goose, raccoon, cats and dogs. I would be more concerned if high levels human E. coli showed up in the sampling because we know that it can transfer from one person to another. And just in case, I did get my hepatitis vaccinations prior to the swim since I will be in the water for such a long time each day.
There is even more incidence of E. coli after a rain event and I have been told that I cannot swim for two days after the last rain.

2 comments:

Green Rooster said...

Hi Liz. This is a great and innovative thing you are doing for the Huron and fresh water resources in general.

I have heard some concerns about the event though. You've discussed what you are doing about e. coli and that you have a scout team. However, are you at all concerned about high flows in the lower section of the river, the numerous dams or log jams and other debris blockages?

It is posted "no swimming" all along the river. How are you addressing the concerns? Is it illegal to swim in the Huron? Do you know why it is posted "no swimming" along so much of the river?

Swim on,

GR

Unknown said...

Just want to say it is so cool that you are raising awareness for this wonderful ecosystem. I am interested in swimming in the Huron around the Island Lake Rec area. I have canoed there many times and it is full of amazing life! I was thinking of snorkeling the area to observe this life more personally. Is there anything I need to worry about such as parasites or the like? Thanks!