Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Getting ready to swim 100 miles!

I am getting really excited about my upcoming swim down the Huron River this summer! The article in the Ann Arbor News yesterday made this event hit home for me. I got up at 4 am this morning, waiting for the pool to open so I could do my training for the day. I swim 2 miles each day at the local YMCA. I try to work my training times in during the day, before work or over my lunch hour, as I am more of a morning person. I also do some weight lifting, to help build up my shoulders. Of course, plenty of sleep and eating well are also important. My daughter is a dietitian and she has helped me devise a great “diet” to follow to be sure my body is optimally fueled for endurance events.

Ironically, on a kayak outing this past weekend, I fell in the river. I was actually thrilled! It was warmer than expected, and got me thinking hard about what 100 miles of swimming down the Huron would be like...

No comments: