Thursday, April 26, 2007

Talk about the future of the River motivates me more!

Wow! I can't believe it. The Ann Arbor News did an Op Ed piece on the swim This on top of the front page article. This makes me want to swim every inch of the river. I know it won't be realistic, because there will be times when I cannot swim it due to safety concerns, but I am going to do as much of it as is humanly possible!

I went to a talk tonight about the future of the Huron River, with projections out to 2030. Based on the models, it doesn't look good. The speaker, UM professor Mike Wiley, pointed out that the only thing that keeps the Great Lakes healthy is clean rivers - that if the rivers draining into the Lakes are polluted, then the entire system is in trouble. But he also pointed out that these are just models - the future does not have to look like this, with degraded rivers, streams and lakes. And he stressed that local stewardship will make the difference - which motivates me even more! We need to reverse our current trend of ignoring our fresh water resources. We cannot live without fresh, clean water. This swim gives me hope - lots of people are getting involved already - let's make a real difference!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz -
That is cool. Sort of like a big canoe trip right down at water level. Next year you'll have to organize a "tubing" flotilla. I bet there would be plenty of takers, except for the flatwater parts.
- E

huronswimmer said...

Hi Eric,
That's a novel idea! I'm not sure it would be such a hit as in places like Ludington - where the tubing gets pretty intense!
-Liz