Sunday, July 15, 2007

Barton Dam to Huron River Day at Gallup

Unlike Saturday, the Huron River Day dawned beautifully sunny and with the promise of air temperatures in the low 80s. The crew gathered at the Barton Dam putin spot about 7:30 and went into the prep drill that takes nearly an hour and a half--drop boats, shuttle cars, load boats with all the expedition stuff and shove off by 9 am. The crew this time included Nels C., Linda Z., Gary, Kirsten and Karin Elling, Tom, Margaret and Inger.
I was mindful that at least 24 residents and some staff of Glacier Hills would be expecting me to be at Gallup Park Canoe Livery by noon, at the latest. I swam as fast as I could. We got to Argo Dam in about and hour and a half, maybe a little less. Then I was in Nels' canoe through the sluice and down the river to a point past the Arb. The water was very very low. But around the area of Furstenberg Park it deepened and I swam again until I was at the Gallup Dock.
I made it in time to hug and kiss all the Glacier Hillians who had been there for about an hour and a half, munching on muffins, having coffee and enjoying a beautiful day on the river.
After they left for lunch I talked to a lots more of people including Trudy, Allison, Nancy, the crew, Heidi, Joe, Jean, Nella, Britton, Austen, Kurt, and Otto. It was a lovely afternoon.
But after a bite of lunch it was off to the new Hydro Park Dock and refurbishments in Ypsilanti Township where I swam a hundred yards to dedicate their new fishing dock. I had the pleasure of meeting a great group of people who were enjoying a summer day on the river. They even contributed to the Watershed Council.
Tomorrow is another day and I need to get some sleep to be ready for it.

No comments: