Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Huron River Swim Begins

Two days of swimming the Huron and I am learning that people in the northeast section of the river are very devoted to it. Not only do many come to see the caravan of kayaks and canoes helping me swim, but they tell come to share the stories of their lives on the Huron.
  • Starting at Proud Lake on 7/07/07, we had a wonderful and lucky send-off. Channel 4 caught the actual beginning of the swim from their mobile television studio truck.
  • The personnel of the the DNR's Proud Lake Recreation area were very hospitable. They served sweetrolls, coffee, and water to all of the crew, and threw open the doors of their fine education building and the "facilities".
  • People lined the street overpasses as we neared Milford and there was one fellow in particular that I hoped I would meet at the Ice Cream Social in Milford's Central Park, but didn't. I'll describe him. He was an older gentleman dressed in white shirt and pants. I could hear him tell me that we were almost "there". The last time I saw him was just as I finished at Central Park. Then I didn't see him again. And everyone with me says they didn't see him. I guess he was my angel. Thanks for your good vibes, Mr. Angel.
  • The ice cream social was fun and since i had done a fair amount of swimming, I indulged!

So much for stories. You probably want the facts:

How many miles did I swim on 7/7/07? Probably about 4 of the estimated 5 miles. The swim team (paddlers, staff, etc.) have limited my swimming to where the water is at least 4 feet high. Sometimes we go to 3.5 feet, but that is the final limit. So there were some times that I had to sit in Nels Christensen's canoe. The timeouts are actually a blessing. It is tiring to swim for hours.

How many paddlers did we have on that first day? About 7. Probably too many but it was a great party.

What were some of the highlights of the trip? The wild and beautiful flora and fauna of the Huron River. Everything from sandhill cranes to green herons and kingbirds as well as wild roses and arrowroot in full bloom! Also some interesting snakes, lots of small pan fish and a beautiful blue sky.

What were the low-lights? Seeing litter everywhere. Why do fishermen/women leave those white plastic bait cartons and water bottles along the shore? Why do people throw perfectly valuable used beer cans (10 cents a pop!) in the river? And why does anyone through picnic tables in the river?

I hope this swim reminds people how important the river is to all of us. We are cooled by the water on these hot days, we get our drinking water from the river, it provides beauty and solace. We must be mindful of its importance in our daily lives.

It is hot in the room where I am blogging. Gotta go and get a drink of water . . .

1 comment:

waterwords said...

Good luck, Liz! I'll be following your blog as you head down the river.

Eric