Friday, July 13, 2007

Hudson Mills to Dexter Huron MetroPark

We had another wonderful crew for the swim from Hudson Mills to Dexter Huron. They were led by Chris and included Karin, Inger, Ruth, Michael and Joan Martin (Joan is the HRWC staffer who convinced me to do this swim once she saw that I had done the Leelanau Swim in 2001).
Our trip was a quick one, leaving at 9 ish and arriving around noon. I swam some, but after many in and out trips from the canoe, we settled down and recognized that the river was really too shallow to swim safely. This swim project is not just about swimming--it is also about heeding safety rules, giving all the paddlers as well as me, the best experience possible.
After we got all the gear and watercraft back in our cars, we sat down to a wonderful lunch provided by Whole Foods, which has agreed to provide food for each day's expedition. One of our volunteers at Glacier Hills who works at Whole Foods contacted the Watershed Council's Development Director, Margaret Smith, to put this generous donation in place. We are all reaping the benefit of their good work. Peter made the deal with Whole Foods and Margaret picks up the food every evening before the next section of the swim.
I am having a day off today from the swim, so I have time to water some of my very dry shrubs and flowers. I even soaked the Sweet Gum tree on the easement. I love that tree and would hate to see it die. It always reminds me of Prof. Jean Paul Slusser, who introduced me to so many wonderful things in the world, including Sweet Gum trees.
On my agenda today is to go to lunch at Glacier Hills. I really miss my colleagues and the residents. I'm also going shopping for a Boogie Board that will allow me to be in the water more than I am now.
Take care and see you on the River--especially Huron River Day at Gallup Park on Sunday, Noon!!

No comments: