Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dexter Huron MetroPark to Barton Dam

Today we added the "flotation device" concept to our arsenal of ways to circumnavigate the major problem of low water patterns in the Huron River during the current drought. We considered a boogie board, but the only one I ever had, I left in California--Really!! It lives with the Materkas when they are in Laguna. And I could not find a replacement in Ann Arbor. so I bought a plastic blow up decorative 'tube. The water was low all the way to Tubbs Road bridge, so I laid in the flotation device and held on to Linda's canoe and kicked my flippers. Too much fun!
Along the way, we portaged at Delhi Rapids and were met by Dick S. and his grand-daughter, Danielle. That was a welcome surprise. We took the portage as an opportunity to eat lunch, but did it quickly, because the sky was getting quite gray and the air was cool.
Luckily, we were soon at Tubbs Road and then I could stay warm swimming.
It was fairly quiet on the river, but there was one person keeping us company from the bridges and other take out spaces--my friend Sally G. who lives near the river and was very enthusiastic from the beginning about the swim. Bless her for coming out to cheer us on our way!
The crew was fantastic. Chris G., who grew up on the river and paddles it nearly everyday now; Inger S., who is on the river every day with us and is planning our swim in the English Lakes in 2009; Linda Z., in her wonderful one-woman canoe who watched over me when I was in the water; Paul Girard, who is a whirling dervish in the water in his whitewater kayak; and Mark Z., who did a fabulous job as well as sharing his gorp with me.
Another wonderful day for the books.
We finished up near Barton Pond and promised to stay in touch! Chris did a great job scoping out the river in advance so we could get as much deep water as possible!
The Ann Arbor News photographer and reporter did a great job. Must have been a slow news day, but I am glad they are letting their readers know about the HRWC swim.

No comments: