Monday, July 9, 2007

July 8 Swim

After a great swim to Milford, the real river showed up. We set out on day 2, July 8, with two local residents who live on the river and are so glad we are showcasing it with the swim. They stayed with us from the Central Park area through to the dam that makes the impoundment in front of the park.
Over the dam, I got in the canoe with Inger and Bill because the water was too low for me to swim. We saw more evidence of human disregard for the environment--picnic tables pushed into the river, the ever present bait cartons, and just junk.
But we did also see families picnicking and children splashing in the water.
Finally the water was deep enough to swim as we entered the Kent Lake impoundment at Kensington MetroPark. The swimming was wonderful, to a point. About half way down the lake the wind picked up and I started noticing that the water wasn't just gently caressing my face, but was starting to slap and sting. I kept looking, when I could, for Martindale Beach where we were supposed to be by noon. It was much past noon and the people gathered on the shore were just the size of ants. That lasted forever. Finally Linda, the canoeist in charge of my welfare, said, "We are going to put you in the canoe. It is just too difficult to get through this headwind. " So, tired and a bit disappointed, I somehow climbed back into Inger and Bill's canoe and they started paddling as fast as they could. Everyone had trouble getting through the wind, but finally we landed. Some of our well wishers had left, but it was a great welcome at any rate. We met a dear couple, Mary Jo and Val, who are geeked about the river and the swim. They are avid HRWC volunteers and live the environmental ethic in their daily lives, right on the Huron River.
The children of the HRWC staff were there too, as was Elaine, my colleague at Glacier Hills. She dragged both daughters and her husband to Kensington, just to say hi and support my work. . Two of my friends who live from Glacier Hills also had been there but had to leave before we arrived.
Thanks every one for your moral support and caring. You make it worth while!

No comments: