Thursday, July 19, 2007

Last Swim in the MetroParks

Today was the last of our swimming in the MetroParks. It has been a beautiful trip in each of them. From Kensington to Oakwoods, we swam through Huron Meadows, Hudson Mills, Dexter Huron, Delhi, Lower Huron and Willow. They are treasures of the River.
Our crew today included Mike George of the MetroParks administration, who is also a first rate paddler. He and Larry, a friend of his who is also an experienced paddler took good care of me on the river. I think someone even took a photo of me slurping the last of my Gatorade which was one of Larry's job to make sure I got all my morning carbs.
We also had Donna S., Inger, Eric, and a photographer, Kohl, from The Monroe Evening News, the daily newspaper of Monroe, Michigan. Look at their website for the story tomorrow afternoon!
We aborted the swim about a mile from our destination at Rockwood due to thunderstorms and finished at the nature center at Oakwoods MetroPark. If ever you are in the area, you should see this beautiful and well done center. We saw some kids from a camp in Gibraltar having a ride in the magnificent replica of a Voyageur canoe. Mike promised that we could have a ride sometime after the swim. I'll keep him to it, too!
Just two more days till we are done. It has gone by fast and given me some important life lessons. I'll tell you what those are on the last blog! I promise!!!
In the meantime, think about coming to Zukey Lake Tavern on Monday, July 23, the Liz Swam event that will celebrate everyone's hard work and great adventure!

No comments: