Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July 10 Swim

On a beautiful, but very hot Tuesday morning, we set out on a swim from Huron Meadows to Baseline Lake's UM Sailing Club. There were a few unusual aspects to starting this swim, as it always is. This time it was the beginning of the filming of The Swim by WFUM television for what may be a documentary on the swim.
The paddlers including Inger, Scott, Chuck, Tricia, Jane, and Bob. With his incredible knowledge of the river, Bob was made the lead kayaker to guide us. The "wings" right begind Bob were Jane and Scott. Those three people are always on guard for any obstacle or problem that may impede the expedition or cause harm to me, the swimmer. I'm here writing about this the day after the swim, so you know they did their jobs very well.
Chuck and Tricia, in a canoe, were my immediate lifeline, communicating with me when I was in the water, helping me in and out of the canoe when it wasn't safe to swim, and generally cheering me on. Inger has taken the role of being my "handler". She will come on all the expeditions to help in every way she can, and especially to keep me focused on the work and not worrying about anything else. It was a most generous and auspicious offer she made that we could not turn down!! She also helps Jennifer by being in constant communication with her about logistics and the care and feeding of Liz.
I was able to swim nearly all of the river--maybe less than a mile of sitting in the canoe or floating on a leash from behind the canoe.
We continue to not be able to match the planned times of the swim. I am slower in the water than we thought I would be.
Some logical reasons: current isn't as fast as anticipated; we don't travel in a straight line; there are those trips into and out of the canoe; and then the wind picks up right so that we are paddling or swimming right into the wind.
But we made it. Approximately 7 miles in almost 7 hours (including rest stops and lunch).
So if you are looking for us at the take out place, you can add an hour or two to the estimated time of arrival.
Thanks for reading! See you on the River!
Liz

No comments: